Friday 11 March 2016

TILB Staff2 Loses A Very Dear Friend In The Tragic CBN Calabar Explosion



I never imagined I will one day be writing this, but here I am. I am still in shock, and so is everyone else. There is throbbing in my stomach and i feel physically sick.

When the news broke today about the tragic blast that occurred at CBN Calabar, I rushed to make the blog post, but as i was about to start typing, a name flashed in my head and i shook in fear.

Okon!!

Quickly I called Okon's number and to my horror his number was switched off. That particular number is never off.


Worried, I called his cousin, who is another friend of mine. The guy had no idea that such an incident occurred and he didn't even allow me finish speaking before he rang off to call Okon himself.

He called every available number but none of them was connecting. He even called Okon's wife but she wasn't picking either. He later was able to connect to an in-law in Abuja who said Okon sustained some injuries but he was responding to treatment.

Relieved, I sent a quick prayer of thanks to God for mercies and continued blogging with a lighter heart.

This evening, Okon's cousin sent me a simple message: He's dead

Those two words, packed with so much finality pierced a big hole in my heart and now it is bleeding.

I remember when i first met Okon many years back. He was so handsome, friendly, easygoing and a bit shy. He worked in one of Nigeria's new generation banks back then, so I was overjoyed when years later, he informed me that he had gotten a job with CBN in Calabar and he would be relocating there. I was so excited for him.

Wow, CBN. Who wouldn't want to work there. Lucky dude, I thought to myself...

Okon got married in 2014 and lived in peace, bringing smiles to everybody around him. He was such an easygoing person who loved life and was planning, along with other members of his family for a mega birthday bash for his aged father who turns 80 next year.

Out of respect for his grieving family I will not post his full picture here, but I will share this one which he took on his wedding day because it is one of the most important days of a man's life


According to his cousin, the news making rounds is a fire extinguisher exploded and caused a chain reaction that led to the massive fire and explosions that has caused so much death and destruction.

Does this look like what a fire extinguisher caused???

That is just plain hogwash. The government should thoroughly investigate the incident and bring anybody culpable to book.

I'm so hurt right now. Hurt that the good ones never last. This young man, who had so much to live for wasted by forces of a lawless country.

Okokon Ekerendu, we your friends and family love you, but God loves you more and only Him knows why you have been cut down at the prime of your life.

Sleep, my friend, and may we meet in a better place...

 



Read more - http://ift.tt/1gifqs9

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check This Out